6.06.2005

Greetings and Salutations

It seems like it's some kind of law that every blog begins with a summarization of it's own purpose. So I wanted to be clear, this blog has no clear purpose. I’m doing this because I can, that’s all. I keep this other blog for my neighborhood’s monthly poker group, and kinda enjoyed it. So it seems like a decent idea to start a personal blog just to keep you all updated on the mundane happenings in my life.

The first order of business is an explanation of the name of the blog. False Awareness was a term used by one of my History Professors. I want to say that he used it in reference to religious groups, but I’m not completely sure. The concept is that groups of people adopt certain beliefs about people and events, and over time, stop questioning those beliefs. Maybe they have no interest in thinking about these things, or they are afraid of the consequences of changing their belief systems, or maybe they believe so strongly that the suggestion that these beliefs might be wrong is incomprehensible to them.

I view it as a kind of Grandmother syndrome. My grandmother is a great person, and I love her with all my heart. But she stopped thinking about the way the world ran at least 20 years ago. So she’s going to be forever stuck with VHS, local channel TV stations only, and no PC. If it doesn’t relate to seeing her great grandchildren or her yardwork, it doesn’t really exist for her.

But I digress. Anyway, I made a conscious decision at some point to not let this happen to me. I didn’t want to wake up someday and see that I’ve let years go by without living with and dealing with the truth. It’s basically the Socrates thought “An unexamined life is not worth living.”

I'm not generally this serious, but I had to name this damn thing, so I wanted to come up with something other than "Boring Midwestern Husband/Dad blathers on and on about his great kids and beautiful wife."

No comments: