6.05.2006

Lions, Chili and Kids

Last week, I called my parents to see if they wanted to come up for the weekend. My dad answered. "We were going to go to Milwaukee tomorrow, but we'd rather come up and see you guys." After I got off the phone, DearWife asked if they were planning on going to the Zoo.

"No."
"What were they planning on doing?"
"I don't know."
"But what were they going to do?"
"I didn't ask."
"Then how do you know they weren't going to the Zoo?"
"I just know."


Two minutes later, DW was talking to my Mom, and my Mom was telling her that they were planning on going to the Zoo. Since we had been out in the sun the entire weekend over Memorial Day, I was less than enthused. It is only a slight exaggeration to say that I am allergic to the sun and heat. And oily suntan lotion is to me like Holy Water is to Vampires.

I suggested I'd go only if we went to the best Chili place on earth - Real Chili, AND we went to go see a movie of my choosing that night. DW readily agreed. But later that night, DW started having buyer's remorse. "I feel like I'm being punished for wanting to do something fun." I'm not sure why this only felt this way only after she agreed....

The zoo was the zoo. The kids enjoyed it, and it was warm and sunny. I looked at the time, and noticed it was getting towards the kids' naptime. Danger Zone. We were risking meltdown. Finally, after we'd seen all but 2 animals, I laid the law down. I pointed to the pathway between the goats and baby chicks and said "that's the way out." Then DW and my mom played with the kids in the playground for 15 minutes.

As we got the kids closer to the car, DW said "Wait, so we're leaving?" Once becoming resolved to that fate, she realized that the kids were tired. "I think we should go home, the kids are tired, and it's close to nap time."

"Sure, we'll go home right after Real Chili."

She bristled at that, but we made it into the car with the Chili plan intact. On the way, she called and said "The kids are really tired." But I knew BigBrother really dug this place last time, and he has a habit of perking up. It wouldn't be the first time they'd skipped naps.

The kids had a great time. The best part for them was having their own bowls of oyster crackers.

Big Brother woke up 1 hour early both nights my parents stayed. We thought it was because my parents were over. This morning, I woke up at 5 to BigBrother bursting into our room. DW realized the time and said "it's too early, you have to go back to bed."

"But I want to sleep with you guys."
"OK, just get in bed and lay down."

End of sleep for moi.

In other news, we had our first true conversation about the possibility of #3. I have all kinds of concerns about it. Would it be fair to BB&LB? Is it remotely within the realm of possibility that I could handle 3 kids running around our backyard at the same time and retain my sanity? How the hell would we pay for it? Could I be a good father to three kids?

I'd be thinking of these things, and BigBrother would come sit on my lap, cuddle up and say: "I love you Daddy. I miss you when you are at work." Or LittleBrother would get his impossibly huge grin and run over and give me an impromptu kiss.

6 comments:

Muskyboy said...

WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!! The best Chilli comes from "The Den Chilli Parlor" in Springfield Illinios!!!!!!!!! Your place is mediocre.

Anonymous said...

I cannot think of two parents better suited for more children! What's fair to BB & LB? think of how enriched their lives could possibly be with another sibling. It's difficult now to see the "big picture"; but after a certain age there is no greater advocate than a brother or sister. Ultimately, it is your decision of course...just wanted to voice my opinion.

Unknown said...

methinks anonymous = DW or MIL

Anonymous said...

It's not MIL but, the 2 of you are exceptional parents!!!

Anonymous said...

DW; you are correct as usual! Of course; I came from a home with 2 other siblings. No one better to "lean" on when times are rough. Celebrations are 3 times the fun because there is truth in "the more the merrier". We will probably outlive our parents, our children will probably outlive us. There is comfort in family. D.

Anonymous said...

D, you are SO right!!!