4.13.2008

Two steps forward, 1 step back

One thing that I learned quickly about being a Dad is that I have a lot to learn. I tend to think analytically, and view things as a progression. What I'm finding out is that it's not really the case with kids.

I remember reading some books to the boys about children being scared of the dark, and having difficult time going to sleep. "Wow, we have it easy, none of our kids is afraid of the dark." Flash forward several months later, and BigBrother is now afraid of the dark. He wakes up in the middle of the night and turns his closet light on and insists that his bedroom door stay open.

When he was little, BigBrother had trouble going into a movie theater. LittleBrother never had issues. BigBrother outgrew it. LittleBrother started to get afraid of big buildings with big 2 story entryways. We took him to a commitment - which is like a baptism I suppose, but not quite. You would have thought he was part vampire by the way he acted when we took him into the giant church.

Right after the baby was born, I thought it would be a good idea to take the boys to see "Horton Hears a Who." After paying $20 for the tickets + more for junk food, LittleBrother decided he had enough. Thankfully a good friend of ours happened to be there, so BigBrother watched the movie while LittleBrother and I sat in the lobby eating Raisenets and playing video games.

There might have been a time when I'd be concerned about the back sliding in development. But I think I know enough now not to be terribly concerned.