4.21.2008

A typical night

We had a long day yesterday (more on that coming, including Animal House references, dead cats, Bear\German Shephard crossbreeding and cops). Anyway, the two older boys were wiped out. Hmm, I thought to myself, there is a chance they'll sleep through.

At 2, BigBrother walks into the room. "Daddy, I had a bad dream. Monsters were chasing me."
I could see how upset he was, and I knew how tired I was. So I left him crawl into bed for 5 minutes to calm down. I then told him to go back to bed and he did, without issue.

I tried to get back to sleep, but thoughts of a long Monday at work prevented me. So at 2;45, when he came back in, saying "Daddy, I really tried, but I just can't get to sleep" I was still up too. I walked him back to his room and laid down with him. I could just hear his breathing change, indicating he was almost asleep when LittleBrother's door opened.

I walked out to see what was up. "Daddy! It's ALL BECAUSE OF YOU." He was crying. So I walked him back in his room. I put him under his covers. I turned his night light on again.

LittleBrother: I want hugs and kisses.
Me: Complies
LittleBrother: I want hugs and kisses.
Me: Complied
LittleBrother: I want hugs and kisses and SONGS.
Me: Sorry kid, you had songs when you went to bed. I love you, good night.
LittleBrother (as I'm walking out): Daddy. Daddy? I love you.


I walked back to BigBrother's room to see he was still asleep. Mission accomplished.